Skin care is not just about the products you apply; it’s also about how you treat your body, particularly during sleep. Sleep is when your body enters into repair mode, working on cell renewal, collagen production, and detoxification. When you cut short on sleep, or the sleep you do get is frequently disrupted, your skin’s health takes a hit in several ways:
- Dark Circles and Puffiness: Blood vessels beneath the eyes dilate when you’re tired, leading to under-eye dark circles. Puffiness can occur due to a buildup of fluids in the eye area.
- Dull Complexion: Skin appears dull because poor sleep affects the body’s ability to replenish and renew skin cells. This leads to a dull and tired complexion.
- Increased Stress Hormones: Chronic stress, often caused by lack of sleep, elevates cortisol levels in the body. This can lead to inflammation, exacerbating conditions such as acne, eczema,rosacea.
- Premature Ageing: Inadequate sleep accelerates the breakdown of collagen and elastin, the proteins responsible for maintaining skin’s elasticity. This results in premature ageing, with fine lines and wrinkles appearing earlier than expected.
Skin Care and Tweakments:
- Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate: Dehydration exacerbates the signs of sleep-deprived skin. Keep your skin well-hydrated with a good quality serum and or moisturizer.
- Gentle Exfoliation: Exfoliating your skin helps remove dead skin cells and brightens your complexion. Use a mild exfoliator AHA/BHA a few times a week to reveal fresher skin.
- Quality Skin Care Products: Invest in quality skin care products containing ingredients like retinol, vitamin C, and peptides to support collagen production and combat premature ageing.
- Sleep-inducing therapies like meditation and breathing work: Use these therapies to help you relax and sleep better.
- Avoid caffeine 6 hours before bedtime.
- Facial Massage: A gentle facial massage with a facial roller can help reduce puffiness, increase blood circulation, and enhance the absorption of skin care products.
- Tweakments: If you’re considering more advanced options, for treatments like microneedling, chemical peels, skinbooster. These can provide a significant boost to your skin’s appearance. If you want to take it to the next level and reverse ageing I would get a course of Polynucleotides treatment.
- A Healthy Lifestyle: Aim for a balanced diet, regular exercise, and stress management techniques like yoga and meditation to support your skin’s health from the inside out.
Remember, while these tips can help you cheat your way to rested skin, nothing truly replaces the rejuvenating power of a good night’s sleep. Whenever possible, prioritise rest, and practice self-care to keep your skin looking its best. And for those moments when sleep remains elusive, rely on these skin care and tweakment secrets to keep your skin glowing through the most challenging times in life.
Maja Swierczynska, our Skin Specialist:
Let’s not forget the expertise of Maja Swierczynska, our dedicated skin specialist with a Master’s Degree in Cosmetology and Cosmetic Science.
She is a highly skilled aesthetic practitioner and lead cosmetic dermatology trainer for Harley Academy. Maja specialises in skin rejuvenation treatments and tailoring bespoke skincare routines, even for the most demanding acne and rosacea skin types. She continually extends her knowledge and skills by attending courses on the most up-to-date aesthetic skincare and treatments. Maja offers informative and honest consultations while striving to achieve natural-looking results and will help clients decide on the best treatment plan to achieve their skin goals.
Maja is an essential part of our commitment to helping you achieve the best possible care for your skin, and can help you achieve the coveted well-rested skin which glows from within!
Book a skin care consultation now with Dr Raquel or Maja for personalised advice and products.